The Red Knight is a repeated character with different identities across all manner of Arthurian and medieval tales. Sometimes he is an evil antagonist, and other times he is a hero.
- The Red Knight Sir Perimones, defeated by Sir Gareth.
- Ironside, the Red Knight of the Red Lands, besieged the castle of Dame Lyonors.
- In Perceval (romance) a Red Knight steals a cup from King Arthur and is slain by Perceval.
- Perceval wears the villain's armor and comes to be called The Red Knight himself for a time.
- The Red Knight named Esclados guards a magic fountain in The Knight with the Lion.
- A Red Knight, not directly identified but possiby a fallen Pelleas builds a wicked, mocking copy of the Round Table in The Idylls of the King.
- Wolfram von Eschenbach writes of a Red Knight named Ither in Parzival.
- The animated Quest for Camelot (1998) (film) has a thieving Red Knight named Sir Ruber.
- The Red Knight is a recurring hallucination to the protagonist of The Fisher King (film)